Menu Filter

Woo hoo! Just booked our night at Wigwam Village #2- Cave City KY

Posted on: March 2, 2011

For our night between Nashville and the American Sign Museum in Cincinnati!

Wigwam Village #2- Cave City KY

wigwam village #2 cave city kentucky tee pee retroroadmap.com

I’m a wig-wam! I’m a tee-pee! — aw, you’re two tents 😉 (insert rimshot here)

10 responses to "Woo hoo! Just booked our night at Wigwam Village #2- Cave City KY"

1. Melinda Mar 02, 2011 at 18:29

Hey Betty–

That sounds really cool! We met the folks from The American Sign Museum while at the USSC Sign Show in Atlantic City last December. They are great people! You are going to have a fabulous time.

Cannot wait to see your pics!!

Mel & Bob

• Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com Mar 02, 2011 at 19:31

Mel & Bob – thanks for swinging by! Tod S of the sign museum has been very enthusiastic about our visit, and I just can’t wait. Taking all the cameras I have – it’s going to be quite the multi-media experience! Perhaps I’ll coerce RetroRoadhusband to write a song about our adventures 🙂

2. Denny Gibson Mar 02, 2011 at 19:24

Oops. I once knew about your trip but it took mention of WV#2 and the ASM to get my attention again.

I scanned the replies on the original trip post and see someone’s mentioned Tootsie’s & Elliston Soda Shop. ESS is indeed “the real thing” as is the Hermitage Cafe. For the best food around it’s gotta be the Loveless Cafe about a dozen miles SW of downtown Nashville; near the Natchez Trace Parkway. Someone mentioned Love Cafe and I wonder if this is what they meant. Another great breakfast spot is the Pancake Pantry. The Loveless is good for any meal. Tootsie’s is one of a string of old time honky tonks on Broadway where you can almost always find something worth listening to. I’m not sure what hubby’s musical inclinations are but I suggest checking to see if there’s anything going on at the Bluebird Cafe while you’re in town. It’s a fairly intimate singer-songwriter showcase.

I’ve used up a lot of your pixels and didn’t even get to Cincy. Send me an email if you like. You’re gonna love ASM.

• Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com Mar 02, 2011 at 19:29

Denny- I appreciate the suggestions and will put pins on the map for all of them. I’ve got pixels-a-plenty so keep ’em coming if the spirit moves you! We don’t leave for this trip for another week+. Now comes the fun part of filling in the gaps between the hotels!

3. Denny Gibson Mar 02, 2011 at 23:40

OK. Damn the pixels. Full steam ahead.

Like cars? There’s a cool museum (Lane’s) in Nashville and another (Swopes) in Elizabethtown plus the Corvette museum in Bowling Green. Bowling Green also has a nicely restored Standard Oil station near down town and Elizabethtown has an impressive Coca-Cola museum (Schmidt’s). It’s neither cars nor Coke but Nashville’s Parthenon is pretty cool.

My instincts say you ought to put Camp Washington Chili (Lonnie Mack, Attack of the Killer V) on your agenda. It ain’t fancy but it’s definitely Cincinnati and it’s open 24 hours a day. Don’t miss the “Campy Washington” mural. If you need another meal in Cincinnati, I recommend the Echo in Hyde Park for breakfast and Montgomery Inn or Terry’s Turf Club for anything else. The Echo is one of those “real things” with good food, Montgomery Inn is Cincy’s famous ribs place, and Terry’s is a ‘burger joint with stuff like a big Dog ‘n’ Suds sign and a Bevador or two. Terry used to own a place very appropriately called Neon’s and some of the “décor” from there is now in the American Sign Museum.

If you find gaps in your plans between Nashville (or there abouts) and Newell (or there abouts), say something.

4. Debbie Mar 03, 2011 at 07:41

I was just looking at their website last month and we are thinking of staying there this summer. Let me know what you think of the place.

• Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com Mar 05, 2011 at 11:37

Debbie – will do! Normally I don’t publicize where we might be headed b/c I’m never sure if it will live up to our expectations, so I’m triple crossing my fingers for this one! We’ll have an in depth report when we return. Can’t wait!

5. Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com Mar 22, 2011 at 16:26

Sounds like a trip I should take soon 🙂

6. Mr. Modtomic Jun 29, 2011 at 02:55

The Girlfriend and I (Mr. Modtomic) are heading to Myrtle Beach (again!) this summer Vaca. We’re gonna try to get a res. at the Wigwam #2 in Kentucky for a night or two. Do a little bike ride at the Mammoth Cave, play a round of (mini) golf at the Kentucky Action Park and do some rafting over at the Cumberland Falls. From there we head east. Any suggestions for around the area and areas not to miss eastward?

• Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com Jun 29, 2011 at 10:24

Mr. Modtomic- that sounds like a swell vacation! If I find anything on the “yet to be checked out but could be cool” list I’ll let you know. Enjoy!