Retro Roadmap Roundup – The Shoe House and Other Vintage Delights! May 5, 2013
Posted on: April 21, 2013
OK so remember how I promised to get more people together to do fun Retro Roadmappy type stuff this year? Well check out all this vintage inspired fun I’ve got on the agenda for Sunday May 5th!
- A guided tour of the famed Shoe House
- Breakfast at the vintage Prospect Diner
- Eats at Hinkle’s Pharmacy Lunch Counter
- Antique Shopping and Photo Opping in Columbia PA
- Donuts at Maple Donuts of York!
The best part? While I’ve come up with a “schedule” – this is a pay-as-you-go type of Roundup, so you can tailor the day’s events to what suits YOU best. (The only required RSVP is for The Shoe House, so I can let them know how many people to expect on our tour.)
Here’s The Plan (and all the places are on the handy map below):
The Prospect Diner – Columbia, PA
Mod Betty and Retro Roadhusband will be at the Prospect Diner between 9-10 am to have breakfast with fellow Roadwriters. Feel free to dine alongside and gab with us!
- Kyle Weaver, co-author of the book Diners of Pennsylvania v2 (which he will be selling AND autographing. The Prospect is the diner on the cover of the book!)
- Spencer Stewart, “The Diner Hunter”
- Photographer Michael G. Stewart of Neon Dreamscapes
- WendyVee from Roadside Wonders website
- (I’ll also have Retro Roadmap tee shirts and hats for sale, and free stickers!)
Antique Shopping / Photo Opping in Columbia, PA
Columbia has some great Antique Co-ops and photo-ops. There will be plenty of time to explore them on your own before our Shoe House Tour.
Some of Mod Betty’s faves:
- Old State Theatre Antique Mall – converted into a church in the 1970s, you can see evidence of the old theatre architecture while searching for vintage treasures
- Burning Bridge Antique Market – Multiple floors of dealers, all sorts of cool stuff!
- Tollboth Antiques Marketplace – Another large co-op, in a cool old factory building!
Hinkle’s Pharmacy Lunch Counter – Columbia, PA
Hinkle’s Pharmacy has been around since 1893 and is not only a working pharmacy and gift shop, but they also have a lunch counter! If you’re feeling like you need a little pick-me-up before The Shoe, we’ll be at the counter at 12. Join us for a bite or a sip, and share your vintage finds!
Tour The Shoe House – Hellam, PA
The Shoe House is one of the most famous sights in the York PA area, and we’ll have our own guided tour, starting promptly at 1:30pm. Tickets are $4.50 apiece and you pay when you get there, so please arrive a little early. We’ll learn the history of this iconic building and get to tour the insides!
This is the only part of the entire day that you need to RSVP for – they do the tours differently depending on how many people are in the group, so I’ll need to know if you plan on attending!
Please email me by May 1 to RSVP modbetty AT retroroadmap DOT com so I can let them know how big of a group we will be!
Maple Donuts – York, PA
We can’t visit this area without stopping for a cup of coffee / tea and a donut or 12 at this fabulously retro Maple Donuts location, so join us for a sweet treat for the road!
There are still plenty of interesting things to check out in the area after the Shoe House, including:
- The John Wright Factory Store in Wrightsville – in a cool old factory building!
- The National Watch and Clock Museum – open 12-4pm with over 12,000 timepieces in their collection
And I’ll be adding more details and fun stuff as the day draws closer.
Sounds like a fun day, doesn’t it?
Please RSVP by 5/1 to let me know where/when to look forward to meeting you – and especially if you want to tour the Shoe House – modbetty AT retroroadmap DOT com
RSVPing will also let me know how large the group will be, to give a heads up to the diner and the Shoe House.
The more the merrier – we look forward to meeting you for a fun day of retro vintage fun!
View Retro Roadmap Shoe House Roundup in a larger map