Menu Filter

This Serro Scotty Vintage Camper is RetroRoadmap Worthy!

Posted on: January 19, 2011

For those of you who are hip to vintage trailer and camper lingo, my “clue” given on the RetroRoadmap Facebook page was pretty easy:

Serro Scotty Sportsman Logo

But here’s the big reveal for everyone – if all goes well this week, RetroRoadhusband and I will soon be the proud owners of a vintage 1964 Serro Scotty Sportsman Camper!
Serro Scotty Sportsman Side
I have been eyeing this cute little camper for years on my way to the grocery store and right before Christmas I noticed a small handmade For Sale sign on it. It has been in the same family for 15 years and they’re looking to upgrade to a larger vintage camper.

Serro Scotty Sportsman Door

I was smitten by its small size, condition for it’s age and cute little aqua stripe! The thing that impressed us the most was the fact that the camper’s interior has many of it’s original features, including the cheery red cushions, aqua sink and rounded mirror.

Scotty Serro Original Interior

So while we’re not campers, nor sportsmen, and currently don’t even have a car to tow it with, we’re adding this cool camper to our collection, to work on and learn all about – so very excited to welcome this little guy into the RetroRoadmap family!

37 responses to "This Serro Scotty Vintage Camper is RetroRoadmap Worthy!"

1. Larry Cultrera Jan 19, 2011 at 10:09

that is so cool! Get a trailer hitch on the new car!

2. Aubs Jan 19, 2011 at 10:55

HOLY MOLY, BATMAN! This is awesomely exciting! So stoked for you guys! 🙂

3. Amy Jan 19, 2011 at 11:27

That is SO cool!

4. Mod Betty / Jan 19, 2011 at 13:03

I got a few additional comments over at Facebook about this cute lil camper so I thought I’d add them to the thread:

Craig F said:

That little trailer makes me happy and sad, Mod Betty.

My parents and I had a lot of adventures in one exactly like that when I was a little guy. I remember a lot about it, even though we only had it for a few years. The cushions, the fold-down table. We had a little screenroom for it, too.

Best of luck with it. I’m glad to see it went to someone who can truly appreciate it.

And Larry Cultrera added:

I am thinking the name “Serro” is related to the former Serro’s Diner on Rte. 30 in Irwin, PA. In fact one of the last Diners to have that name was in Greensburg, PA and after they closed it, it was moved to the Scotty Trailer property adjacent to the PA Turnpike with a large for sale sign on it.

5. Pam Jan 19, 2011 at 13:30

Woo Hoo! Hope you are willing to share some time in the RetroRoadster with others than RRH at some point. : )

6. Gunnar Jan 19, 2011 at 15:56

A Shady Dell to call your very own!

7. thevintagetraveler Jan 19, 2011 at 19:42

YEAH!! for you. Can I say how jealous I am? Lizzie

8. Glenn Wells Jan 20, 2011 at 07:02

Beth, you need to visit this web site (if you haven’t already):

There’s a small photo under “Scotty History” with what looks like the Serro’s Diner sign. The connection to Serro’s Diner is never explained, but there were ten children in the Serro family – there has to be one!

As a diner fan, I also like the Serro Scotty “tag” – and the fact that it was never removed or damaged since 1964!

• Mod Betty / Jan 20, 2011 at 07:56

Glenn – thanks for the link, I’ll have to look for the diner sign. There are a couple of “tags” on the diner,–oops I meant camper! 🙂

9. nancy kroes Jan 21, 2011 at 09:53

Hey, be sure to visit the National Serro Scotty Organization site at – we’re the biggest and best site for vintage Serro Scotty trailers.

The other link provided already takes you to the new Serro Scotty site. Bill Kerola bought the right to use the Serro name and start building new trailers in the old look back in 2007.

The NSSO group holds a National Scotty Rally every July in PA, where Scottys began plus other camp-outs around the country.

LOVE your blog – do you mind if I add a link to if from the Scotty Newsletter site: ?

Nancy Kroes
    NSSO Owner and Admin

• Mod Betty / Jan 21, 2011 at 10:03

Nancy! Thanks for getting in touch and making us feel so welcome! We’re excited to learn everything we can about our cute lil camper and meet folks who have them as well. I’ve already seen the link to the Rally site, and while we may not be ready to participate officially this summer, I’m thinking a RetroRoadmap worthy excursion out there to meet some Scotty folks would be right in order! Would be thrilled and honored if you would add a link to RetroRoadmap to your site – I would like to think that your readership would appreciate the vintage retro and cool old places I’m trying to highlight, and may have some of their own they could add to the map as well. Perhaps we’ll meet in July! So much fun to look forward to 🙂

10. Jen Jan 21, 2011 at 19:52

Wow…Congratulations! I came over from Flickr…What a peach! My husband and I finally just bought a vehicle with which we can tow, and we would LOVE a sweet vintage RV like this and have been on the lookout since. There are some amazingly cute ones out there, and yours is darling, too! I’m so excited for you!

• Mod Betty / Jan 22, 2011 at 10:31

Thanks so much for swinging by the Retro Roadmap to check out our cute lil camper! We haven’t seriously been looking for one but this really fell in our lap, so we couldn’t say no – even tho we don’t have anything to tow it with-! Thanks for being excited about it, I’m sure it will featured in many photos in the future!

11. Adam Jan 31, 2011 at 15:14

Very cool! Congrats. I’m jealous … even though I, too, don’t own a car and couldn’t pull this thing anywhere. It would just be fun to sit in parked in the backyard. May you have years of Retro Roadtrips with it.

• Mod Betty / Jan 31, 2011 at 17:05

Adam – thanks for swingin on by the RetroRoadmap and for the well wishes. Yep, at the moment I’m considering the camper one of our bigger lawn ornaments here at the Hacienda, right next to the pink flamingos and bowling balls :-). I think I’ll be happy to sit out in/near it and pretend I’m vacationing!

12. Nancy Kroes Jan 31, 2011 at 18:50

Ah, consider attending the Second Annual Winter Camp-in (anywhere you are). You can eat a meal in your Scotty, camp out over night or just take pictures of you with it. Then submit them to me and I put together a slideshow. This was a very fun event last year with folks joining in from all over the country. More info on this year’s here: and check out the video of last year’s here:

Hope to *see* you there!

• Mod Betty / Jan 31, 2011 at 20:03

ooh Nancy that sounds like a fun idea! Thanks for forwarding it to me, I’ll share it with RetroRoadhusband right now!

13. Dave Feb 05, 2011 at 11:45

Very cool! Welcome to the non-camping, non-sportsmen, don’t-have-a-car-to-tow-it-with, vintage camper loving club. That was exactly what happened to us with our 1968 Kencraft camper. Had to buy the car to go get the camper in Pittsburgh from Wisconsin. Purchased on Ebay sight-unseen. We LOVE it. All the best in your new adventure and awesome website!

• Mod Betty / Feb 05, 2011 at 19:22

Dave- thanks for welcoming us into the “club”! makes me feel so much better that we’re not the only folks to do something a bit cart before the horse – or in this case – vintage camper before the car. SO glad you love your camper, I know we will too! Totally digging your website as well – LOVE yer bathroom shots, can’t wait to delve in and see your other cool stuff- thanks so much for swinging by the RetroRoadmap!!

14. Mod Betty / Feb 07, 2011 at 13:27

Dave- Aqua Betty! I love it! (crossing name off of potential camper list)-

I’m envious of your original wood interior and aqua accents, and what a great job on the replacement cushions and headboards. Truly an inspiration -thank you so much for sharing! It reinforces that we’d making the right decision 🙂

15. Mark Feb 08, 2011 at 21:33

Let me know if you decide to sell that trailer, I restore them and I’m always looking for one to restore. I will give you a lot of money for it!!

• Mod Betty / Feb 08, 2011 at 21:41

Mark – always good to know someone who does restoration! Currently we’re smitten with the idea of owning it, but will keep your info handy if we ever change our minds.

16. Ramble on Rose Feb 23, 2011 at 21:38

What a great camper! I’m searching for one now to fix up–can’t wait to see what you do with her!

17. Katen Apr 17, 2011 at 19:30

Hi!!! I too am glad to see I’m not the only person out there that wants a retro trailer but doesn’t have the car yet to haul it!! There is one down the street from me and everyday I hope I’ll see a for sale on it but so far not yet 🙁
    Good luck with your new baby!!

• Mod Betty / Apr 17, 2011 at 20:23

Thank Katen! Yeah, we feel a bit silly not currently having anything for it to trail behind, but just knowing it’s in our garage is a nice feeling! Now that the weather’s nicer we may just go out there and hang out in it!

18. Vintage Camper Rally - National Serro Scotty Organization | Aug 31, 2011 at 22:55

[…] of you may remember the story  about the cute little white camper with the aqua stripe that we ended up buying from some swell […]

19. Look What The Serro Scotty Stork Dropped Off! | Retro Roadmap Sep 07, 2011 at 18:12

[…] can see some more photos of our Serro Scotty camper, interior and all on our original post from the winter! Filed Under: Vintage Campers Tagged With: Serro Scotty, Vintage trailer, Vinttage […]

20. Paul Mar 02, 2012 at 18:28

Cool! Now you and RetroRoadhusband can travel around the country like Lucy and Desi in the “Long, Long Trailer”… except you’ll be in the Short, Cozy Trailer. I have to admit, I’m just the teensiest bit jealous. Are you gonna paint the RetroRoadMap logo on it? If you do, let me know so I can come photograph you and RetroRoadhusband next to it.

• Mod Betty Mar 02, 2012 at 19:20

Paul = we probably won’t paint the logo on her but when she’s ready for her closeup you’re more than welcome to photog! I’m sure we’ll share the progress here on the site!

21. Vintage Trailer Renovation - Serro Scotty Master Mark Denlinger | Retro Roadmap Mar 06, 2012 at 11:54

[…] may already remember, but for those of you who are just tuning in, Retro Roadhusband and I are the proud but totally newbie owners of a 1964 Serro Scotty trailer. While we purchased it last year somewhat on a whim (i.e. we didn’t even have a vehicle to […]

22. JenniferT May 30, 2012 at 19:56

My husband’s grandparents passed away and left one of these sitting in their yard. I am trying to find someone who will WANT it and restore it before his family sends it to the scrap yard. If anyone is interested, please e-mail me at It is located near Cumberland MD, and would need some serious restoration, but I’d rather see it fixed up or even used for parts to fix up another than as scrap in a salvage yard.

• Mod Betty May 31, 2012 at 16:55

Hello Jen – I have forwarded your message to Nancy at the NSSO, hopefully she’ll help find a home for your trailer, or at least the parts!